Sunday 30 September 2012

September 2012

September reads like a dedication to my love for Indie games. I had the opportunity to interview 3 Indie developers, for this I am extremely grateful. I also reviewed some of the most extraordinary games in September and covered exciting upcoming releases. I also did a few interesting opinion pieces. Come share the journey with me.

Opinion piece: Let’s play “What if” with video games


I secretly harbor this idea that video game developers are prophets in their own right. Now that my insane idea is out in the open, let’s play “What if” with video games. We might find that it isn’t so preposterous after all. I take a look at Deus Ex and Remember Me as examples of video game to real life applications. The realities in these two video games both have a shadow in the real world. The implications are exciting and scary at the same time. With technology one should never forget that it gives with the one hand and takes with the other. Technological advancement comes with its own price tag, be it an economical, ethical or moral cost. Read full article here.

Interview with Dan Pinchbeck: 3 Games 1 Indie studio

In all my years of playing video games there are only two that stand out as something more than just hours spend on my favorite pastime hobby; To the Moon and Dear Esther. Through these two games I was introduced to games as a medium that has more to offer than spectacular graphics and mindless action. They were catalysts for personal growth and both had a profound effect on me. I caught up with Dan Pinchbeck, the creative director of thechineseroom. Join us for a talk about the creations of this fascinating Indie studio: Dear Ester, Amnesia: A machine for Pigs and Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. Read full article here.

Opinion piece: The case of the “down(vote) syndrome” and other internet dilemmas

Why should we tolerate online behavior that we would never, ever tolerate in real life? Does “online” somehow give people a free ticket to behave amoral? Have you crossed the invisible lines in your own heart? Have you gradually pushed the boundaries of what are acceptable in terms of conduct, communication and interaction further and further? I know I have. It’s a frightening thing to live in a borderless, unaccountable world. We tend to set the demons lose. You are leaving a digital footprint, be careful how you tread. Read full article here.

Opinion piece: Medal of Honor: Warfighter pushes the boundaries of realism again

EA is going beyond the call of duty to add a frightening element of realism to the gaming experience. Up until recently I have always viewed games as completely detached from real life. It is an escape, a fantasy and nothing that happens in my virtual world matters. But isn’t it true that no matter what genre we play, a bit of our real selves joins in the journey? Could adding more realism to that journey actually add deeper value to the experience than just entertainment? I take a critical look at realism in video games. Read the full article here.

Interview with Hugh Jeremy: When an Indie game looks better than triple A: Natural Selection 2

Indie studio Unknown Worlds has kicked up a press storm with the release of NS2 and its AAA look. It seems impossible that a team of seven (henceforth to be called, the magnificent seven), could produce a game with the depth, quality and features that we see in NS2. If you know anything of the history around the Natural Selection universe, you will know that this game was in fact, not the creation of a few dedicated individuals. The phenomenon that is Natural Selection is a combined labor of love from the NS community and its staff. It’s a triumph, an anthem to celebrate the accomplishment of gamer and developer. Read full article here.

Opinion piece: Lola enters the erotic video games conversation

There are more important things to consider in the matter of erotic video games than just my right of choice. I take a look at distributing erotic video games through a public platform such as Steam, the purpose of violence in video games and how it differs from erotic content in gaming. Read the full article here.

Review Guild Wars 2: I played hard to get with Tyria

Unlike the rest of the internet, I had a very shaky start with GW2. When it comes to MMORPG’s I am set in my ways.Whenever developers of a new MMORPG scream for my attention with, “We’ve revolutionized the genre”, I am immediately doubtful. When GW2 therefore promised another revolution of the genre, my heart sank. But like a wise and patient lover, Tyria courted me. Indulge me as I share with you the remarkable journey I had with GW2. Read full article here.

Interview with Aaron Foster: There's nothing routine about Routine

Routine from Lunar Software is a game I’m keeping a close eye on. The reason it has me so excited is that for once a developer has the sense to NOT make a game that caters for the masses. Routine will be extremely difficult and challenging, in fact, it will probably not be to your liking. Read the full article here.

Review: I played a game that changed me, Papo and Yo


Stunned, heartfelt, shocked, compassion, terrified, empathy, despair, profound, anger, and courage: these are the emotions that stampede through my soul as the credits roll across the screen. I’ve just finished playing Papo and Yo, and I will never be the same. Before Papo and Yo is a game, it is an extremely personal story. Should you choose to share in this journey of addiction, betrayal and courage, you will find that your own inner world has been somewhat altered. One thing is for certain; you cannot play Papo and Yo and remain untouched. Read full article here.

Noteworthy news

3 comments:

  1. In your review for the Walking Dead Game on mweb, you're using modified fan art without even giving the least credit to the original artist.

    Change that please. Immediately.

    Vainamoinen
    (voluntary forum moderator/ Telltale forum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking all over, best I found was the original picture on TellTale's Facebook group, it doesn't give the artist name. I did update my article with a link to that post. I will update it again if I can find the name. ty again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Just refer to Odobenus from DeviantArt. All his art and contact can be found there.

    Best wishes, Vainamoinen

    ReplyDelete